UPS damages Cylinders

Michael Amick

It has been 90 days since I took a set of Lyc 235-L2c Cylinders over to the local UPS STORE, after reading an article in Kitplanes, by Paul Dye, advising they would "professionally" pack then ship in 1 transaction. A bit pricey but included insurance for my declared value & was only 4 day service TN-CA.

Sadly, they did not arrive in usable condition at LyCon who immediately called me when the box arrived & later that day sent me 50+ photos of the box torn open & no 'packing peanuts.' The bubble wrap still allowed the cylinders to beat themselves against each other. With bent fins & broken rocker pin bosses I made a quick claim to the UPS STORE, sending him all photos & was told it took normally 30 days to settle.  I followed up with Ly-Con the next several days & verified that UPS Insurance did call to set an appointment to inspect, but did not show up & they did not call back.

After 45 days and several visits nothing added had been done from the "Insurance" office.  At this point I called corporate UPS to complain about the UPS STORE's lack of action.  In 2 days I got a call from the "UPS Insurance" office blaming Covid delays & wanted me to file a claim again, via email & send them only 10 pictures with 4 being exterior shots of the box. Last 3 visits to the UPS STORE has the story of "They are processing, & have approved the claim" but no check & no action.

Anybody else been successful with a UPS Store Claim for aircraft parts?
Got a # for me to call?

Moral to story, Pack yourself & send via Shippo.com
--
Michael Amick
Franklin TN

Michael-
I have had similar experiences with 'the UPS Store' and REFUSE to EVER use them again.
Mine did not require insurance, but the way I AND my shipments have been treated are HUGELY unprofessional.
That goes for UPS in general; a LOT of damage from UPS many, many times both sending and receiving.
You should have seen what the Piper Aztec windshield box looked like when it came back rejected from a customer.
Like it had been dropped off the semi at 65 mph and dragged for a few miles on a chain.
And their corporate responsibility matches what I see in shipments in my opinion.
Hope you get brand new factory cylinders, at their expense.
-Christian

--        www.BrilliantDesignOnline.com
Solidworks Design & CNC Plasma Cutting

         -a division of-
www.AlpineWorldwide.com
       "We build ideas.."

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 6:29 PM Michael Amick <michaelkamick@...> wrote:
[...]

Bob Holliston

In the 80's I was a dealer for UP (UP is where it's at) hang gliders. They were shipped in 20' sono tubes by truck. I went to the receiving place to pick up a glider and saw forklift tracks going right across the tube. I can't remember the details, but everything was taken care of within 30 days. That said, I've shipped and received at least 200 items over the years including a couple dozen cylinders through UPS (Oops) and have never had a problem. When I ship something I do my best to make the package  nearly bulletproof. Also, I was rebuilding a totaled Corvette and bought a (huge) hood off Ebay. To save $ I had it shipped by Greyhound, about $50.00. It came with cardboard around it with NO padding and was unscathed.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 12:08 AM Christian von Delius <alpineglobalprivate@...> wrote:
[...]

James Russell

Hi all:

I stopped using UPS in the late '80s.  I had a laser printer delivered to me that was literally dropped off the truck in my driveway - my driveway gravel was embedded in the cardboard box!

I pack everything myself to withstand a 200 ft. airdrop from a C-130 - tape all edges, wrap the box in both directions, 100% cover the label with tape, etc. 2" of padding...

USPS & FedEx are the only vendors I trust now. For large stuff (cowlings, MLG strut), I use Greyhound Freight, but 2 hrs each way to Seattle is a bummer.

Regards,
James

red

Sometime ago UPS jobbed out their “insurance” to a law firm. It was bad before, always a fight, always “you did not pack it correctly”. Now it is far worse.

We are still waiting, after three months, for action on a broken automotive driveshaft, 3” OD .120 steel wall, that they broke approximately in half. Broke the double wall cardboard box that it was in also and our packing material was lost. They said that they examined it, but never actually did.

The name of the game is to delay, obstruct, deny and then after all that, not pay. Or at least not timely. We refunded our customer in time for Thanksgiving…..

Red Hamilton

UPS shipper

[...]

Bulent Aliev

Red is absolutely right. I ship and receive with UPS almost daily. They have damaged lots of incoming merchandise. There is no way no how to get any compensation. My outgoing service is without problems, since I personally pack it. I make sure it will take 10’ drop on the pavement without damage to the contents.
If your package is heavy, they just push it off the truck. UPS don’t use lift gate on their trucks.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 1:52 PM red <redswing@...> wrote:

[...]

Enginegear
ph +1 954.557.1019
fax +1 386.957.4473
Bulent@...
www.enginegearonline.com

James-
LOL:  to withstand a 200 ft. airdrop from a C-130..
Yup..needed.

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 9:27 AM James Russell <fshort@...> wrote:
Hi all:

I stopped using UPS in the late '80s.  I had a laser printer delivered to me that was literally dropped off the truck in my driveway - my driveway gravel was embedded in the cardboard box!

I pack everything myself to withstand a 200 ft. airdrop from a C-130 - tape all edges, wrap the box in both directions, 100% cover the label with tape, etc. 2" of padding...

USPS & FedEx are the only vendors I trust now. For large stuff (cowlings, MLG strut), I use Greyhound Freight, but 2 hrs each way to Seattle is a bummer.

Regards,
James

Izzy

I shipped a couple small machine parts from UPS Store in Tehachapi. They charged a fair amount to pck and ship.  The parts tracking number showed  nothing for two weeks then all of the sudden the record was updated to indicate the parts were delivered to Concord, NH but they were not delivered. It represented a $450 loss for me and the store refused to honor the insurance because they said it had been delivered. My wife’s receptionist is reliable and diligent. She did not get anything at the tome reported.

the incident has impacted my willingness to ship anything anymore.

My wife ordered some Christmas items for expedited shipping so she could take them to her parents today in Europe. They never arrived. It’s going to be hours on the phone to get a remedy, and she will have to do it when she gets back.

There are clearly people that work inside the company that are stealing packages and UPS corporate is not addressing the problem.

And it’s not unique to UPS. I’ve had similar issues with USPS and Fedex too.

It’s a shame because there are really not many options to the shipping cartel that’s developed in this country in the last 10 years.

Izzy
(603)410-7277

On Jan 8, 2022, at 20:29, Michael Amick <michaelkamick@...> wrote:

[...]

In the 80's an acquaintance was growing indoor pot commercially. He shipped 2 pounds UPS in a 5 gallon bucket to a customer from PNW to the midwest. It arrived just fine but the bucket was empty. He had to return the customers 4K.